FEMA Flood Map Service Center: Hazus
FEMA’s Methodology for Estimating Potential Losses from Disasters
Hazus is a nationally applicable standardized methodology that contains models for estimating potential losses from earthquakes, floods, and hurricanes. Hazus uses Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology to estimate physical, economic, and social impacts of disasters. It graphically illustrates the limits of identified high-risk locations due to earthquake, hurricane and floods. Users can then visualize the spatial relationships between populations and other more permanently fixed geographic assets or resources for the specific hazard being modeled, a crucial function in the pre-disaster planning process.
For more information about the Hazus program, please visit the Hazus home page. From there, you can learn how to:
- Stay connected with the Hazus Community by joining your local Hazus User Group
- Sign up for Hazus Training from FEMA's Emergency Management Institute
- Find technical support at the Hazus Help Desk
As part of an effort to continue modernizing Hazus, we are excited to announce the release of Hazus 3.2. This release is a full-versioned software release that implements a number of changes, including:
- ArcGIS Upgrade: Hazus 3.2 is now compatible with ArcGIS 10.4. The new version also reduces overall version dependency within Hazus, such that the software can be installed on versions of ArcGIS other than 10.4 (Note: The Hazus Help Desk team will only be supporting 10.4)
- USGS ShakeMap: The Hazus Earthquake module has been integrated with the United States Geological Surveyâs (USGS) ShakeMap in order to pull in ground motion and shaking intensity maps from significant earthquake events for preparedness and disaster planning
- Enhanced Reports: Existing Hazus reports have been improved to Crystal Reports 2011, allowing for better data visualization and more ways to analyze and view your Hazus results
Domestic and international users may select the "Hazus-MH Application" link below to download the software. As an alternative, you may opt to manage the download and select the items you wish to obtain. Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox web browsers are recommended to perform the download. Google Chrome is not supported. Hazus-MH 3.2 must be installed with ArcGIS 10.4.
NOTE: You must uninstall any existing versions of Hazus and all Microsoft SQL components from your computer before downloading and ensure that you have ArcGIS 10.4 on your computer. When installing ArcGIS 10.4, a patch must be applied for Hazus 3.2 to properly display ArcGIS attribute tables from the ArcMap Table of Contents. Additional details are available in the User Release Notes as part of the Hazus Installation package. The patch is available at: http://support.esri.com/download/7427. Please read the Getting Started Guide in the HAZUS_APP folder from the MSC download for further details..
Users wishing to preserve their study regions and transfer them to Hazus 3.2 may do so, but only if they are operating on the most recent version of Hazus (3.1). They will be able to follow the steps outlined in the Getting Started Guide available with the download to extract their study regions in Hazus 3.1 and then upload them into 3.2 once it is downloaded. For questions or issues, feel free to contact the Hazus Help Desk at email@example.com.
If you require assistance downloading the software, please email the FEMA Map Information eXchange (FMIX) at FEMAMapSpecialist@riskmapcds.com.